The Bible mentions angels at work from Genesis to Revelation. What are they doing? Turns out they’re doing a lot. Jay joins Tim to summarize the important role that the angels fulfill to bring about God’s will.
Theme Verse – Psalm 103:20
“Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.”
Re-cap from “Equal unto the Angels”
- Why study angels? (Luke 20:35-36)
- They represent and reveal God – “God manifestation”. They bear his name (Exodus 23:20-21)
- We are made in the image of God/Elohim/angels (Genesis 1:26 cp. Heb. 2:7)
What they are called
- Angels, ministers, eyes, watchers (2Ch. 16:9; Da. 4:17)
- Destroyers (1Co. 10:10), flaming fire (Heb. 1:7)… burning bush (Ex. 4)
How they do it
- Visibly – Abraham, Jacob, Exodus, Canaan, Daniel, birth and resurrection of Christ, book of Revelation
- Invisibly – through most of history, even our day (Hebrews 13:2; Dan. 5)
What they are doing
- Ministering to the heirs of salvation (Heb. 1:14)
- Guardian angels (Matt. 18:10; Gen. 28:12; 48:15-16; Psa. 34:7)
- Rejoice when men and women repent from their sins (Luke 15:10)
- Obediently carry out the will of God (Psalm 103:20)
- Strength is a notable characteristic: Elohim, inexhaustible energy, read thoughts, blind or destroy armies, reveal certain future events, help the faithful (ESV Psalm 103:20)
- They are limited in knowledge (Mark 13:32, 1 Peter 1:11)
- Evil angels are not morally evil, but bring about the judgments of God – ex. wilderness wanderings, Assyrian army (2 Kings 19:35; Psa. 78:49 “destroying angel”; Ex. 12:23)
- Directing the affairs of the nations
- Through their work, God exercises His dominion over the kingdoms of the earth (Psalm 103:19, Da. 4:17->Dan. 10)
- Jesus Christ now has the authority to command all these beings (Mat. 28:18; 2 Thess. 1:7-8)
Lessons for Us Today
- Today, the immortal heavenly angels follow the commands of Jesus Christ, working faithfully behind the scenes, invisibly preparing the earth for his return. They are involved in setting up and taking down governments, just as they were in the book of Daniel.
- They also minister in more personal ways, working invisibly, but powerfully, to help the heirs of salvation.
- We believe that great salvation is coming soon.